Heller

Heller

ob.ses.sion

Kid Gloves - Anna Martin 3.75A novella set in an AU steampunk England. Dalton is a craftsman who makes prosthetics both standard and bespoke. The bespoke ones are specialized in a way that they begin to react with the person's biology and act as a true limb. Finn is a soldier who had his hand surgically removed after an accident and comes to see Dalton to get a bespoke piece. The men begin an affair during the time Finn needs to learn how to reuse his new hand before returning to the front lines. This was a surprising story for me. Very richly detailed in world-building and in characterization. There's a kink here that I wasn't expecting either that completely fit Dalton. Perfect. Once the connection between the MCs was made this story was tremendously romantic with a nice added twist of angst when Finn returns to the fighting. If I had a quibble it would be in regards to the beginning of the affair. I totally understood Dalton's attraction to Finn but it only wasn't until later that Finn's attraction to Dalton made sense to me. Although with Finn being a virgin the awkwardness of how their affair initiated was understandable but it didn't quite work as much as I wished.If you're looking for an AU MM story pick this one up. The steampunk angle is great spin and one I've seldom read. Wonderfully written and the amount of detail in both the characters and the world is pretty impressive given the length.