Heller

Heller

ob.ses.sion

Strength of the Pack - Kendall McKenna “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling, The Jungle BookThis quote has long been a favourite of mine and always sums up werewolf politics to me. So when I saw the title of this book my mind went to it immediately and McKenna quotes it before the book starts. Yay! It's just such a great line and really appropriate for this story as well. This is a fabulous start to a new series. McKenna is my go to for military stories, I love the jargon and the atmosphere that permeates her books. This one has a paranormal twist with werewolves. The weres are out and integrated into the human society with quite a few of them serving in the military forces. We have the human Lieutenant Lucas Young and the werewolf Sergeant Noah Hammond who engage in a lot of subtle jockeying for dominance when they first meet and Hammond is being integrated into Young's platoon before deployment to Afghanistan. There's a pretty fascinating relationship that develops with regards to the dominance here. There's great chemistry between the MC's but this is definitely slow burn almost to the point that I wanted to throw the men in a Humvee together and lock the doors. Still, the reasoning behind it worked even if I was hugely frustrated at the pace. A bit of miscommunication here as well but we are talking two different mind sets so that made sense to me. I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes next. Great concept here and a rocking start to kickass military personnel both human and werewolf. Sign me up!