Heller

Heller

ob.ses.sion

Pine Tar & Sweet Tea - Kerry Freeman I love sports stories, this is a good one even though the sports aspect is more peripheral to the main storyline which is one of coming out. I really enjoyed these characters. Matt and René are both high school baseball coaches and their teams meet for the state championship. Matt is recently home from years as a minor ball player. He came back to support his family after the death of his mother and while he was never out playing ball he was more free to be himself on the road. All this ends being around his very conservative and homophobic pastor father. While it's never been easy for him, René is out and proud and has a strong family support network. Their relationship starts out with a pretty explosive one night stand. There is a lot of chemistry at work here and these two men are incredibly hot together. Emily and David are the respective best friends who also meet during the championship and begin a relationship. It's their relationship that eventually draws Matt and René back together and they begin seeing each other and their one night stand becomes something more. I really, really enjoyed these guys and how they tried to make things work out. There is a lot of family angst here on Matt's part as he tries desperately to please everyone. That unfortunately never works and leads up to main issue here of whether he should stay in the closet and conform to family pressures or come out and grab his happiness with René. This is a short story and there are often jumps of time here but I never felt cheated. I got a real feel for the characters and their motivations and the story is a sweet one. Recommended.